Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Hobby Goals for 2023

 

Battles

Use my Stonehaven Old Troll miniature in a game of Middle Earth SBG or Song of Arthur and Merlin.  This miniature just looks so cool, even though mine isn't painted.  It's a pity that I've only gamed with it one time so far...

Play Treachery of Rhudaur (LoTR LCG).  Son #1 gave me this adventure pack for Christmas.  I will have to get it on the table.

Play Desert Crossing (LoTR LCG).  I have owned the Sands of Harad deluxe expansion for several years, but I still have not beaten this quest.

Play a Middle Earth SBG Narrative Scenario with Uruk-Hai Scouts.  I recently painted up Mauhur and Vrasku models.  I want to play through the Scouring of the Westfold scenario from the old Two Towers journey book.  I may adjust the force composition a little bit to use some named heroes and edit out the Dunlendings.  I purchased three very nice Saxon houses from Sarissa Precision last year with this scenario in mind.

Play a combat patrol sized game of Farsight Enclaves vs Necrons.  I have never played much 40k.  I like some of the models and some of the lore, but I don't want to keep up with Games Workshop's rules.  I may use One Page Rules, Clash on the Fringe or Xenos Rampant.  I need to build and paint the T'au Piranha that my cousin gave me for Christmas.  I have most of a Farsight combat patrol in various stages of assembly and paint.  I don't have any Necrons yet, more on that below.

Play a Black Ops Game with SHIELD Heroclix figures.  I am interested in trying out Black Ops by Osprey Games.  I have a lot of old Heroclix figures for this purpose.  I will use Agents of SHIELD figures, and I have a few different ideas for the OpFor. 

Play Another Game of Song of Arthur and Merlin, Welsh King.  Son #3 and I played our first game of this in 2022.  We enjoyed it.  It gave us an excuse to match up his Romans versus my Rohan (Saxons).

 

Campaigns

Play a Warfighter Mediterranean Campaign.  I pre-ordered this DVG game and am really looking forward to getting it on the table.  My WW2 miniatures are more North Africa focused.  So I look forward to a more Italian theme here.

Play a Corsair Leader Rabaul Campaign.  Son #4 may enjoy this with me.  I would like to read up on the Japanese base at Rabaul as inspiration for this campaign.

Continue Five Men from Algeria Campaign.  On Christmas Eve, Son #4 and I played our first game of Five Men from Normandy (Nordic Weasel games).  It was nice to get a low model count WW2 game on the table.  I'm calling our campaign Five Men from Tunisia, because we are playing the US Army's 1943 campaign in Tunisia.

Play an Age of Sigmar Path to Glory campaign with Stormcast Tempest Lords.  Last year, I played several games of Age of Sigmar Path to Glory at my local GW store.  I recently painted up several new Stormcast in a Tempest Lords paint scheme.  I am waiting on getting a hero to paint up and lead them. 

Play a Platoon Level Desert War Tunisia 1943 campaign in 28mm.  Years ago, I got a Bolt Action starter set.  It's taken my years, but I have finally assembled all of the figures.  I'm in the process of painting them up to represent the US Army's 34th Infantry Division vs. DAK in Tunisia 1943.  I would like to learn Bolt Action rules, but I also recently pre-ordered the Two Hour Wargames Nuts supplement Desert War on Kickstarter.  I'm looking to implement some ideas from that supplement. 

Play an Alpha Strike campaign, Battle for Sadurni.  I have the BattleTech Alpha Strike Commander's Edition.  I have only played a couple of games, and I have not used special pilot abilities yet.  I like the Duchy of Andurien in the current lore.  I'm looking to continue painting up some 5th Andurien Rangers and 3rd Capellan Chargers for use in a campaign where the Rangers look to reclaim their homeworld from the dastardly Capellans.  I have the BattleTech Deserts Map Pack for use here.  I picture most of Sadurni as desert, populated by hardy, self-reliant types, similar to my view of the Australian Outback. 

 

Modeling/Painting

Paint a Ghost Bear Omega Galaxy Binary.  After several tries, I finally hit on a color scheme that I like for my Ghost Bears.  My Summoner and Stormcrow are painted up and look pretty good for battle ready.  The Fire Moth, Shadow Cat, and Nova Cat are waiting for their paint.  Then, I will need another star of Mechs and maybe some battle armor.  

Collect Desert War Terrain including buildings.  I started to scratch build some rough areas and rocky outcroppings last week.  I want to continue that project.  I am also looking for some suitable 28mm North African buildings.  I may go with Sarissa Precision kits, but I am undecided.  I'm looking for something that evokes a simple, desolate North African feel.  Suggestions welcome!

Collect Lava Mat and Terrain.  My growing 28mm sci fi forces need a suitable battle field.  (Yes, they could fight in the desert with my growing WW2 terrain, but that's less fun.)  I'm inspired by the scene in Revenge of the Sith where Obi Wan and Annakin battle it out near lava pools.  I'm looking at the Frontline Gaming lava mats and the Lava River Set from Green Stuff World.  I have some existing dark gray rock formations that should work, too. 

Buy, Paint to Battle Ready a Necron Combat Patrol.  For years I have dabbled at the edges of 40k.  I like games with a clear good vs evil.  40k has some cool models but doesn't really satisfy that.  Now that my T'au collection is growing, I am looking at Necrons as a thematic OpFor.  As a bonus, I like using Army Painter gunmetal primer.  So, these guys should be battle ready with less work that a different force like Orks. 

Collect and Paint 24 Uruk-Hai Scouts.  Speaking of Orks.  I have always loved the Isengard vs Rohan part of the movies.  I like the thought of gaming out the border skirmishes more than the big set piece battle at Helm's Deep, at least for now. 

Collect and Paint two more Lances of 5th Andurien Rangers.  I'm not sure why I like the Duchy of Andurien.  Is it because they are underdogs?  I like the 5th Andurien Rangers because they seem like a rough and tumble lot of country boys.  Easy to overlook, fun to root for.  Plus, when the Capellans grab their home world of Sadurni, I figure that it's on like Donkey Kong!

Collect and Paint two more Lances of 3rd Capellan Chargers.  There are not a lot of Capellan units with color schemes or lore that grab me.  However, the sand colors with red highlights seem like they would look good without too much work.  Also, I like that this unit is historically known for hit and run tactics.  I like hit and run tactics.  Finally, they were re-activated as part of Operation Hidden Lion, which just sounds cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment